Thursday, June 7, 2018
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course, designed to teach people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis. This course is tailored for people who teach, work, live with and care for young people aged 8 to 18.
Each and every Youth MHFA course is delivered by a quality assured instructor, who has attended the seven day instructor training programme accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health.
What will I learn on a Youth MHFA course?
A more in depth understanding of specific mental health issues and is delivered in four manageable chunks:
- What is mental health?
- Depression and anxiety
- Suicide and psychosis
- Self-harm and eating disorders
Within each section there is clear focus on the issues faced by young people today, including bullying/cyber bullying and substance misuse. The course also teaches the importance of promoting protective factors and good parenting. Completing the two day course qualifies you as a Youth Mental Health First Aider.
How will attending a Youth MHFA course help?
Each of the courses will increase awareness around young people’s mental health and allow you to develop practical skills to identify a range of mental health issues and support a young person to get the help they need.
Research and evaluation shows that taking part in an MHFA course:
- Raises awareness and mental health literacy
- Reduces stigma around mental ill health
- Boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
- Promotes early intervention which enables recovery
Dates and Times: (full attendance on both days is essential)
- June to December 2018 - dates now fully booked
- 23rd and 24th January 2019 9am to 5pm
- 26th and 27th February 2019 9am to 5pm
- 27th and 28th March 2019 9am to 5pm
How to Request a Place on the Training:
Please complete the booking form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone number 0115 8765087 for further information.
- This training is on offer for the Nottingham City Children’s Workforce.
- The city center venue will be shared on confirmation of place.
- Numbers for this training are strictly capped at 16. This means we can't overbook to allow for No Shows.
- Please do you best to attend if you have booked a place, or give 48 hours’ notice that you will not be able to attend, as the course cannot run with less than 8.
- Please note if you do not give 48 hours notice to cancel or you do not show on the day you will be charged a £40 non-attendance fee. You will also be charged if you do not fully the attend the course from 09.00am to 5.00pm.
For a copy of the Mental Health First Aid Youth Training Course Application Form for Schools Staff please click here